1.0 upgrade 2 motors to use self tighten Vision props

Reaction score
1.0 Phantom. I want to upgrade 2 motors so I can use the self tightening Vision props.

1. Do I order 2 CCW motors since I already have 2 CCW motors?

2. Are there better motors than stock Phantom motors?

3. The vision props are 9" right? Are there prop guards for the 9" props that will work on a 1.0 phantom?

4. Best place to pick up motors?

5. I mangalated a prop a bit, can you bend them back into shape and press on or is that not a good idea?

Thanks

You need a total of 2 CW and 2 CCW motors

Stock Phantoms are pretty good

Don't know if the Phantom 2 Prop Guards fit or not. I assume so if the motors fit

Atlanta Hobby seems a good place for Motors

Best to replace props once they get mangled.

THanks ELwood.

I was told I needed to replace 2 motors to be able to use the Vision props with the self tightening CCW nuts & props since I have 2 CW and 2 CCW motors now.

FredMurtz said:
THanks ELwood.

I was told I needed to replace 2 motors to be able to use the Vision props with the self tightening CCW nuts & props since I have 2 CW and 2 CCW motors now.

I think there's some confusion there. Right now you have two motors that spin CW and two that spin CCW, but that's different than the direction the prop adaptor on top is threaded...that's what determines if you can use the self-tightening props. Look at those threads on all the motors, if they all twist in the same direction you need to replace two of them with ones that have reverse threads. If your current motors already have two with threads in the opposite direction, you're good to go now for those props.

The self-tightening props require 2 motors with CW threads and 2 motors with CCW threads.

Got it, thanks OI P. Ordering 2 CCW thread motors from Atlanta Hobby.

Thanks OI P.

That is a RH (CW) thread motor OI P. Right now I've got 4 RH (CW) thread motors, I need 2 LH (CCW) thread motors. All 4 of my props mount with a CW silver nut. Phantom 1.0.

Thanks again, got them ordered.

Aren't the original motors already configure with 2 CCW threads and 2 CW threads? This is the reason the nuts tighten in different directions. It really has nothing to do with the way the motor spins since it can spin in either direction and that is determined by the wiring. But as long as the motors weren't replaced, aren't they already what is needed for the self tightening props?

maytrix said:
Aren't the original motors already configure with 2 CCW threads and 2 CW threads? This is the reason the nuts tighten in different directions. It really has nothing to do with the way the motor spins since it can spin in either direction and that is determined by the wiring. But as long as the motors weren't replaced, aren't they already what is needed for the self tightening props?

Early early models of the Phantom didn't have cross-threaded motors.

Okay I got the 2 CCW threaded motors. How do I tell which motors to change out? How are the motors numbered? I did a Google search it's all just how to change a motor, not change 2 1.0 motors to CCW thread motors. Thanks

FredMurtz said:
Okay I got the 2 CCW threaded motors. How do I tell which motors to change out? How are the motors numbered? I did a Google search it it's all just how to change a motor, not change 2 1.0 motors to CCW thread motors. Thaks

You want to change your clockwise-turning motors:

quadX.jpg

In the above picture, it's M2 and M4 (the orange ones). Top left and bottom right, if the Phantom is facing towards or away from you.

When you change out the motors, make sure they spin in the correct direction. If not, you need to swap any two of the three cables going from the motor to the ESC, that will reverse the direction of spin.

Ya da mang elguano. Saving that pic for reference. Im going to make a YT video on this to help others, you'll get props there too.

I just want to be crystal clear on what the nose of the phantom is. Is this pic correct? The reason I ask is 2 things. My gimbel instructions say to align the camera with the nose of the phantom. If the camera is aligned with the nose and pointed toward the LED on that side, that camera will get the legs in the shot. I also see pics of the camera pointed the other way. To me the nose is where the battery compartment cover is right? On my upgrade board instruction sheet it shows with the battery compartment facing me like in pic, the lower left motor is M1, the lower right motor is M2, the top right motor is M3 and top left motor is M4 in a CCW pattern.

Attachments

• tail_nose_pic.png
    tail_nose_pic.png
    62.3 KB · Views: 645
That's a P2 diagram, which is bass-ackwards from the P1 logic. You're correct, the gimbal should point in the same direction as the battery door on your Phantom :)

Thanks again OI P, I'm facing the right way now. I'll relabel that drawing so it's right for a P1 in my video.

This learning curve is killing me :mrgreen:

FredMurtz said:
This learning curve is killing me :mrgreen:

You're walking a well-travelled path, it'll get you where you want to go ;)

Might want to find a diagram of an actual P1 body, even if you label it the distinction in the shapes might confuse some noobs. Here's one you might be able to start with:
FPV-Drone-DJI-Phantom-Quadcopter-With-Gopro-Mount-NAZA-V2-GPS-For-Gopro-Hero-3-Camera.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav