0% battery life and 0 GPS after vision+ crash

Reaction score
Had my first crash :( I was flying a few feet above the ground, taking some shots of friends on bikes in a parking lot when suddenly my Phantom vision 2+ veered towards the ground, skidding and eventually crashing hard into a guard rail. Honestly i'm not quite sure what happened as it got out of sight and next thing i knew i heard a loud GONG and it was on the ground with the battery popped out.

Now i'm experiencing a host of issues:
1) DJI Vision app is reporting 0% battery life (swapped out the battery and it didn't help)
2) DJI Vision app is reporting 0 GPS satellites (regardless of location) and i'm getting the green-red-red-red blinking which according to the Naza guide means it's not finding enough satellites.
3) DJI Vision
4) Camera is pointing straight down (the up/down tilt adjust in app isn't doing anything) and motor seems to be ON and pushing it to that direction making it super hot. I guess it's burning itself out basically.

The drone does take off and I can see the HUD just fine -- i've only taken it 5 feet off the ground for fear of flying a dangerous damaged one and I did notice it kind of bucked up and down in a sinusoidal pattern.

Getting warranty service is going to be hard as I don't have the purchase receipt and didn't buy it from an authorized dealer. I already ordered a new one (actually, a slightly used one from Amazon Warehouse Deals...the allure of saving $350 was too much) and I'm thinking my best bet will be to sell it for parts on ebay.

Any suggestions? Anyone seen any issues like this?

Thanks!
Jonathan

Also, I was in Naza mode, using Ground Station and had it in course lock mode. It was flying a little too low for my taste once i started the way point mission stuff so i flipped S1 down/up to try to take over control, and i have no idea what happened next. Are there known issues here that might explain what happened to my sad drone?

You may have cracked the ceramic antenna on the GPS module. You can take the top off the Phantom and it is under the protective covering. There are videos on how to remove the top safely on youtube. Check your connections to the camera, only one of the three cables is clipped in, the other two can loosen in a crash.

You should open the shell and look carefully for components misaligned/out of position, and for connectors dislodged. Your GPS antenna may be cracked. Check connectors on gimbal and look closely for impact marks/scratches on camera/gimbal assembly. Components may have slipped out of position on one or more axes. I suspect the battery issue is the small contacts pins are not making contact with the smart terminals on the battery. Check for bent/missing pins inside battery compartment, or the smart terminal pin mount being out of position.

You have power to the phantom but the FPV has no telemetry correct?
Look at the 3 grey cables with the white connectors from the phantom to the gimbal board. Looking at phantom front on, it's the cable on the left with the clip (4 pin-out). You have crashed and dislodged the pins from the connector. Get some tweezers and push them in or pull them out and re-insert.

Thanks so much for the help everyone. Getting closer! You were right Mako that the cable to he gimbal was loose/out. Turns out that was causing many of the other issues (no reading on battery life, faulty gimbal turning, inability to access stored photos over wifi.

So the only remaining problem is the lack of GPS.

I opened the shell, and peeled off the ceramic covering the GPS. From the back the GPS looked fine, not quite sure what I'm looking for. Presumably I have to unscrew it and flip it over and have a look for cracks? (unfortunately I didn't have a screwdriver tiny enough to take it off...almost stripped the screws trying..yikes).

Thank everyone!

jwegener said:
Also, what's the grey cord in http://www.floridauav.com/dji-phantom-replacement-gps/ ? That's basically the part I need right?

The antenna is a ceramic plate on the backside of the GPS module.
To see it you must unscrew that module.
It is most likely cracked and thus defect.
If it is the case its cheap and easy replaceable, there are topic about that on this forum.

If it is the case its cheap and easy replaceable, there are topic about that on this forum.

Tell me more! What do you mean the case? How is it replaceable?

jwegener said:
Thanks so much for the help everyone. Getting closer! You were right Mako that the cable to he gimbal was loose/out. Turns out that was causing many of the other issues (no reading on battery life, faulty gimbal turning, inability to access stored photos over wifi.

So the only remaining problem is the lack of GPS.

I opened the shell, and peeled off the ceramic covering the GPS. From the back the GPS looked fine, not quite sure what I'm looking for. Presumably I have to unscrew it and flip it over and have a look for cracks? (unfortunately I didn't have a screwdriver tiny enough to take it off...almost stripped the screws trying..yikes).

Thank everyone!

What do you mean "lack of GPS". Is it still reading zero? or does it get low GPS?
If still reading zero, then check your Phantom lights. If she blinks green in an open field (make sure you have s1 and s2 in the up position), then one of the 4 cable is still loose.

Actually, turns out I was wrong and the GPS is working again (I was trying it last night on my fire escape in Manhattan...tried it in the suburbs tonight and it saw 4-5 satellites which was the same as pre-accident. Hurrah!

One more question, what happens to the drone if midflight it drops below 6 satellites? I've read the manual on this many times, but it seemed like there was one weird case where it would just descend straight down wherever it was and land. Did I imagine that?

Thank you all for your help, you've been awesome

jwegener said:
Actually, turns out I was wrong and the GPS is working again (I was trying it last night on my fire escape in Manhattan...tried it in the suburbs tonight and it saw 4-5 satellites which was the same as pre-accident. Hurrah!

One more question, what happens to the drone if midflight it drops below 6 satellites? I've read the manual on this many times, but it seemed like there was one weird case where it would just descend straight down wherever it was and land. Did I imagine that?

Thank you all for your help, you've been awesome

Send us some beers!!!
If you are getting low sat counts, try and do the foil mod.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19099&start=310

Read from start and make sure you tuck that GPS cable under the copper and then adhere the foil.
This may or may not help if you are obstructed by hills/buildings.

And to answer your question, when the sats drop, the bird wont know where home is until the sats pick up again. It will hover until the batts are low and land where ever the wind takes it. If there is no wind, it will land in the spot where the ATTI was activated.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31